In order to enroll international (non-immigrant) F-1 international students a school must be Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Certified. Having the SEVP certification allows institutions to issue the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” to international students after admitting them for a course of study. The international student then uses the Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 Visa to enter the United States.

School Types Eligible to Enroll F Students:

  • College or University
  • Community College or Junior College
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Academic High School
  • Private Elementary School (grades kindergarten-eight)
  • Institution which provides language training
  • Instruction in liberal arts or fine arts
  • Instruction in the professions
  • Instruction or training in more than one of these disciplines

A listing of schools able to issue I-20s to international students can be found at

Schools Types Ineligible for SEVP Certification:

  • Home School
  • Preschool or Day Care
  • Public Elementary School (grades kindergarten-eight)
  • Schools whose programs are primarily distance or online and do not require physical attendance for classes
  • Examination or other purposes also known as test preparation programs
  • Adult education programs
  • Flight school that is not Part 141 or Part 142 certified by the Federal Aviation Administration