Step 1 – Get Accepted into a School

In order to obtain an F-1 Visa, you will need to apply to and be accepted for enrollment at a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Certified School. The SEVP List, which is found at, includes universities, colleges, high schools, private elementary schools and other academic institutions such as accredited Academic or English Language Programs. These schools are all certified by the US Department of Homeland Security.

Students will be required to complete an application and provide supporting documents to their Supporting Program Agency and to the schools they are applying to.  These documents include (and are not limited to):

  • The institution’s application
  • Transcripts from schools the student previously attended
  • Medical records/a completed health form
  • Teacher recommendations
  • English Proficiency Test score results, such as TOEFL or TOEIC
  • Copy of the student’s passport photo page
  • Documents demonstrating sufficient funds to cover tuition, living expenses, and additional costs during the student’s academic program

Documents may need be translated into English by a certified translator if not originally issued in English.